Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Welcome!

Bonjour tout le monde!

It's the night before I go to France and it's slowly hitting me that I'm actually going to france.  By slowly, I mean, imagine a video in slow motion of a fat guy getting hit in the stomach by a bowling ball.  My reaction all day has been: "Wait... tomorrow I'm going where?!"

So why France?  I'm an English major, so where's the logic in that?  Well, I wanted to go to a place where I could test my French skills and study a culture that I think I'll enjoy.  I've been in French classes since 4th grade and so I really wanted to see what ten years of a language meant.  Besides, after so many years of schooling, I kind of wanted to experience the culture that I had spent so much time learning.

Let me tell you a little more about my trip.  I'm going to be spending a full semester in Montpellier, France.  I'll be staying in a homestay (stay updated for a post once I actually meet them) just outside of the city.  The city itself is old but the people are very young (about a quarter of the residents are students).  I'm going to be taking some classes with native French students (the thought is terrifying), some with other international students (cool!  I'm an international student), and maybe one with just Americans (but that sounds boring).  

Not much more to write yet because nothing has really happened yet but I'll be sure to keep you updated!

Stay tuned for: Charles de Gaul and Navigating the dangers of airplane food.

No comments:

Post a Comment