Monday, January 24, 2011

Maybe I should have given the teacher an apple

So today was the first day of classes and I'm kind of burnt out.

I woke up on time, but didn't leave quite enough travel time so I had to seriously turn on the NY legs to get there (got there JUST as the teacher started class).  First class was grammar and it actually looks promising.  We had previously taken a placement test and the syllabus basically looked like a list of everything that I usually get wrong on exams (stuff I've seen before but forgotten, like subjunctive).  And the teacher seemed very nice.

Then I had lunch with my friends (the cafeteria has really good food, at least in comparison to US school lunches, for only a couple of euros).

After lunch I went to phonetics.  Learning the phonetic alphabet and hearing the difference between eh (pronounced like ayee) and eh (pronounced like what they say in Canada, eh) kind of made my head spin a bit, but it looks really interesting and is sure to get my French is great shape.

Then I went to a lit class.  This was a class with native French speakers.  And a second year class at that.  Way too difficult.  Maybe I could handle the content of the class (though Balzac isn't "light reading"), but not in French.  And I feel bad because the teacher definitely was speaking clearly, I just couldn't take notes and keep listening at the same time when the material was so abstract and in a subject that I don't know a lot about (something about autobiographies in the early 19th century). 

So I've dropped that class.  I have another lit course to try out and a psych course if that lit course takes a nose dive like the first.  I'll post my final schedule once I have it.

No "Stay Tuned For" tonight ... even I'm not totally sure what tomorrow has in store.

Ps... I tried foie gras.  Not bad, as long as you can get over the fact that you're eating liver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment