Saturday, January 15, 2011

A tornado would have been easier

Well I made it to Montpellier, but my bags haven't yet.

Let's start at JFK.  I was supposed to leave at 5:00.  I didn't.  There was something wrong with the plane.  So they said they'd get us a new one and we'd leave at 6.  We didn't.  There was something wrong with THAT plane.  They then got us another, but it was smaller so we had to re-check in while they prepped the plane for us.  All in all, we took off at 8:30.  Now, I was supposed to have 4 hours in Paris to get my baggage, check in again, relax and take off at 11... not the case.   We got in at 9:30.  Soon after the conveyor belt flat out STOPPED because no one's suitcase was coming off, I realized I had to do something.  So I went to baggage and explained my situation and the only solution I came up with was to leave my baggage and run.  And I mean run.  After I got through security (which is much smaller than in the states but much more thorough) I ran to the gate, waving my ticket and yelling "MONTPELLIER!?"

I got on the flight.

And even though I'm tired, things have been really great here.  I've met tons of people from the program and even like a few of them.  Oh, and did I mention that I think it's been about upper 50's to even low 60's here!  So gorgeous.  The first day they gave us to wander so we did for a little but we were exhausted so went to bed really early.

Today we got started with orientation.  Walked around the city a little with a guide from the program, got a more general intro to the program, etc.  I also got my cell phone and tram card.

And I met my host family.  They seem really nice.  The mom (Madame Demoly) is very nice (though I think she feels a little bad that I don't speak French as well as either of us would like).  She's an allergist (of course they give the girl with cat allergies to the allergist with no cat!) and seems very friendly.  She said flat out to tell her if I don't understand.  It's hard because I'm trying to be polite, but I don't know enough French so I think I'm going to have to be more blunt.  She was very friendly asking what I need (lack of suitcase...) but I think I'll be ok for one more day.

I don't know a lot about her children.  I know she has a son (I met him and then promptly forgot his name) and two other kids, all ages ranging 20-23.  Maxime (21) is in Paris, Benjamin (23) is supposed to be in Paris but he hurt his knee skiing, and Clement (20) is in Montpellier.

And did I mention that their house is AMAZING!?  So beautiful.

Stay tuned for: Academic Advising and Other Forms of Torture

2 comments:

  1. Don't screw up the gender of the word tired. It's "le tired".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of you racing through CDG yelling "Montpellier!" Must've been quite a sight! Glad you made it, and glad your suitcase has finally made it, too!! Magnifique! Now go have a croissant. ;)

    ReplyDelete