Saturday, March 19, 2011

Woah, We're Half Way There...

...Woah-OH Living on a prayer.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

But it's quite amazing that it's already the halfway point.  My first instinct is to look forward at what I have left.  An amazing spring break trip planned (with a special surprise guest!), warm weather, finishing internship applications, finals... And looking at everything, both good and bad, feels a little daunting.

However, I think before I look ahead, I would do better to reflect.  The last two months have rocket shipped by!  Getting settled into a new culture, exploring France, meeting tons of new people, speaking French all the time, going to Spain... Looking back, no wonder I'm a little tired.

I think the biggest hurdle for me to get over as I look to the rest of my abroad experience is the language.  Speaking French 24/7 is certainly exhausting, but practicing it is the only way to make it easier.  There are days where I just want to hide in my room (aka my English bubble) but on those days, I find dinner with the host family a little harder.  It's a bit of a paradox: the more effort you put into it, the less effort it takes.

I also want to pat myself on the back.  I find that I often overlook what I've accomplished and focus on what I can improve on, but this kind of positive reflection is also necessary.  I'm proud of the fact that I am doing it!  I feel like I've truly made Montpellier home.  And even though I feel like I want to understand the city itself a little better, I know that I have the tools to do so.  I've already figured out a lot (I never realized how much I'd have to set up in starting a new life elsewhere... cell phones, daily routines, tram cards, friends, etc.) and I know that I can live in Montpellier how I want to.

So what's in front of me?  Two goals: keep improving my French (I feel like a little fatigue or maybe just laziness, has set in and I've plateaued... no more of that) and keep exploring Montpellier (again, I've gotten content with my life routine which I feel doesn't take full advantage of the city).

I'm really looking forward to what's coming up :)

Stay tuned for... The Second Half!

No comments:

Post a Comment