Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Roquefort: "Le Roi des Fromages"

Updated with pictures!

Last weekend, the program organized an "excursion" for us.

First we went to the Couvertoirade.  Unfortunately I forgot my camera, but I'll borrow pictures from my friend's facebooks as they become available (giving credit of course).  Also, unfortunately, it was cold and alternated from sunny to a fine mist of rain so I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I could have (or feel inclined to listen to the tour guide).

(From Willow)
(From Willow)
(From Julie)

But here is a little history of the city: It is a fortified city that was created by the Knight's Templars in the 12th/13th C.  (ok... very little history.  I really didn't feel like paying attention)

It was super adorable though!  TINY city!  Wiggly, cobble stone streets.  Stone buildings with wooden shutters and doors.  Ivy growing on the buildings.  It was so cute and I would love to go back some day (during the summer!).

(From Michelle)

After, we stopped at the Millau Viaduct, the highest bridge in Europe, for a photo-op.  It literally connects two mountains and there were gorgeous views of the mountains and valleys of the French countryside.  Absolutely gorgeous!
(From Willow)

Finally, we went to the Roquefort caves.  There was a film about the process (laughably dramatized... they called it the King of Cheeses and the Cheese of the Gods) and then we got to look at the cheese sitting in this cold, dank, SMELLY cave.  It's such a unique place with such a specific climate to make a very strong cheese.  We also got to taste it... kind of like bleu cheese but 10x stronger!

(From Willow)

The excursion was good, but I think I really just enjoyed the opportunity to hang out with my friends more than the places themselves (mostly due to the weather and the early wake up call).

No comments:

Post a Comment