Sunday, March 27, 2011

Le Premier Weekend Reposant

This may be the first weekend where I just sit back and relaxed.  No big day trips, no big projects (though I do have one or two looming that I hope to get started on).  Not that I don't love traveling, but it's nice to come up for air every now and then.

Friday (yes, to the chagrin of all my Lehigh friends, my weekend starts on Friday) I went shopping with my friend Elizabeth.  Really fun to just look around.  I bought a really cute dress and earrings (and a power adapter because mine broke). 

Saturday, I went to the beach with a bunch of friends.  I was in a bikini in March!  Well, it was a little windy so I kept my jeans on, but I did manage to get a little burn on my arms.  It was so fun to just hang out and do nothing in the sun.

 













And today, Sunday, I haven't done anything except have a big meal with my host family.  I woke up at 11 (well, it felt like 10 because we just moved the clocks forward), watched a little TV, and just generally enjoyed spending time with my host family.  And lunch was so nice!  First, everyone was there: Marie, her three sons (Ben, 23, Max, 21, and Clement, 20), Sol, and the son's father. 

Also, the food was amazing: shrimp and calamari (I think) to start, then seafood kebabs with oranges and red peppers plus carrots, salad, and french fries (or freedom fries as we joked), then bread and cheese, and finally some pastries and coffee.  Scary to think that now I (the tea drinker) can now drink black coffee (with sugar)!  My host family likes to joke that I'm the first American who eats everything (I think the two students before me were vegetarians).  The boys' dad said that curiosity is a sign of intelligence. 

Here I'd like to give credit to my dad; he travels a lot for business and when I was younger he'd always come back saying all the crazy things he tried.  I have two theories of how this affected me: I either learned to be adventurous from him or, in comparison to some of the things he's tried (like cow udder or sea urchin), trying a new kind of fish or cheese sounds tame.  Either way, thanks Dad!  

Check out Les Recettes for a culinary update! (with pictures!)

No comments:

Post a Comment